Friday, July 25, 2008

Linguistication

Linguistication. You wont find this one in the Oxford, or any other English dictionary. It's a made up word that means to make up a word by combining parts of existing words..... Ha! And yes, I made it up. Its a hybrid created by combining the words lingua - Latin (now the Spanish 'lengua') word for language and the word mastication which means to chew up.

I find that there are times when things combine to create something new and there is no word, or no word that I know of, to describe it. An old favorite is
hydroquesting. This means to attempt to gain the attention of the bus boy carrying the water jug while keeping your eyes on the person you are having a conversation with and avoiding the appearance of being completely distracted. We have all been there and it seemed like something that should have a name. Now, in my small world, it does.

Linguistication is pretty common among writers of all descriptions from literature to sitcom. The Andy Griffith had some great ones. Barney was a master linguisticator. Executizing and therapized stand out for me.

My hope is that you will have some
lingistications of your own to share and I look forward to receiving them.

2 comments:

James47 said...

I love "hydraquesting"...thought frequently here in Glasgow it is another liquid we are seeking. Perhaps there is call for "whiskiquesting" or "vinoquesting". Your post made me think of a column by Simon Hoggart in the Guardian on Saturday. He spoke of the word "testiculating"; it means someone who waves their arms about as they talk bollocks!

Joseph Diaz said...

I'm a big fan of "ladronery," which means thievery. Ladron=thief in spanish.